Frog Level History of Buildings
Interesting Frog Level History of it’s Buildings:
Roughly bounded by Commerce and Boundary streets on the south, Water Street and-Richland Creek on
the north, rear property lines of Depot Street buildings on the east. and 80 Commerce Street on the west.
The Frog Level Historic District in Waynesville, the county seat of Haywood County, North Carolina, comprises approximately five acres. The district is northwest of Main Street, downhill from the county courthouse, and occupies a low lying area centered around Richland Creek and the railroad tracks. While there were some businesses located along Main Street that pre-dated the arrival of the railroad, most of Main Street developed concurrently with Frog Level once the train arrived in 1884. Both areas expanded during roughly the same period of significance, but historically the Frog Level businesses were much more closely associated with the railroad industry in terms of serving as warehouses and wholesale centers. The first stopping place for tourists arriving in Waynesville was in Frog Level, with the livery businesses located there serving to carry visitors up the hill to the various inns and boarding houses. Frog Level businesses were different than most of those located along Main Street, and it was a commercial center in its own right.
The concentration of contiguous contributing buildings which comprise the historic district has changed only minimally from an architectural standpoint during the period of significance from ca. 1900 to 1949. These minimal changes include the addition of new materials and changing of historic configurations of a few of the storefronts, or application of modem materials which completely cover the facade, again only on a handful of the buildings. However, overall the area has retained its integrity in terms of architecture, setting, and its historical associations with the railroad and the commercial development it encouraged. Outside of the district to the southwest, southeast, and northeast is newer commercial development, with some newer residential areas located to the northwest.
A Compilation, Frog Level History of Buildings:
Water Street-north side:
- One-story Queen Anne dwelling with high hip roof, projecting gables, and original weather board siding.
Conical-roofed turret on southeast comer.
- Attached Craftsman-style porch added between 1908-1913 with tapered posts on stone piers.
- Central stuccoed chimney, decorative barge boards at front gable.
- Four-over-four windows, front door is three-lights-over-three-panel.
- House first appears on 1908 Sanborn map, but stylistically probably dates closer to 1900.
- The George W. Gibson family lived here from the 1930s to at least 1960.
Commerce Street-north side:
- Two-story brick, flat roof, Commercial Style building, divided into three distinct storefront bays. One of the largest buildings in the district, the storefronts and front and north sides of the first floor of the building have all been altered with modem changes.
- These changes include, on the front, the addition of stone veneer framing which divides the storefront bays and covers the original kick:plates, and the addition of modem doors and new display windows.
- In addition, new stone planters protrude out from the building onto the sidewalk. Modem storefronts are flush with the facade, rather than recessed as they were originally. On the first floor of the north side, one doorway has been bricked in, and another has a modern door in-filled within the original opening. Two windows are boarded over, and a large original arched brick bay has been in-filled with brick on the lower half with a modem multi-light window above.
- The second-story facade is still intact, with three single one-over-one windows with brick lintels and sills in each bay. Bays are divided by brick pilasters. One-over-one windows also pierce the northeast side of the building facing Depot Street and on the rear elevation.
- An intact door, in the center of the building, is single-light-over-panel plus-transom, and leads to the second floor. A modem decorative iron security door has been added in front of it. On the alley side (facing southwest), there is an arched loading area and doorway which have been bricked in. Windows here are also boarded up. “Farmer’s Federation” is still visible, painted along the cornice across the facade.
- In the mid to late 1910s the armory was located upstairs. Members of the National Guard practiced drills here, and community dances were held. This was used as the armory until the new building was constructed in 1936. In 1924 an auto repair shop wing was built at the rear of the building, and became a feed warehouse by 1931.
- The wing has been torn down. The Farmers Federation came to Waynesville in the mid-1930s and moved into the second floor. In 1945, a freezer locker was located in the southwest side of the building, a service offered by the Farmers Federation to store frozen meats, vegetables, and fruits. Richland Supply company, farm supplies, operated here in the 1950s.
- Two-story Commercial Style brick building with original recessed entry and storefront configuration.
- Application of some modem materials, including stone veneer and metal at the storefront area.
- Flatroof with parapet wall on the alley (southwest) side. “Coca-Cola” sign still appears on this wall. Rear wall has been stuccoed. One-over-one windows.
- This building first appears on Sanborn maps in 1908, as arestaurant.
- It later also housed a fruit stand, and originally had a one-story horse shed at the rear, which isno longer exists.
- The building’s longest continuous use was as a cafe, first run by Otis Burgin and later byIra Marcus in the 1930s and 1940s.
- Two-story brick Commercial Style building with an intact storefront, including transoms and brick
kick plates with inset brick panels.
- A fixed pane display window still remains at the northeast comer of the building facing the alley.
- Stepped parapet roof line. One-over-one windows with concrete sills.
- Rear has some changes to first floor bays.
- The northernmost bay has been in-filled with plywood on the lower half, but appears to retain the original triple window framing above. Window sashes are replaced with fixed panes in two of the openings, and a fan in the third. The southernmost bay retains its triple window framing also and the upper four-light sash. The lower half of this bay has also been in-filled with plywood.
- This building was in use in 1924 as a retail store, but the specific goods sold is not known. By 1931 it was part of the feed and building materials warehouse of the adjacent building.
- Tall one-story frame warehouse building with an L-shape floor plan. Building is nine bays wide. There is an L-shape attached frame loading dock with a standing seam shed roof and round posts at the rear, with a covered carport at the rear of the northern part of the building.
- Flat roof, and stamped brick metal siding on the front facade, covering the original wood siding. It appears, however, that the stamped brick siding has been on the building for many years. Windows, which appear to be original, are a combination of one-over-one and twelve-light casement. The main entrance into the building, at the north end, is recessed with a double-leaf door and multi-light display windows.
- The current doorway configuration may be a more recent change to create a vestibule into the building. Bay six of the building, approximately in the center of the front facade, is an original two-panel loading door of beaded boards.
- The shed roof covering over this door appears to be a recent addition. This building first appears on Sanborn maps in 1924, as a wholesale grocery with hay storage at the rear.
- By 1931, the building was in use as a feed and building materials warehouse, known as Hyatt and Company.
- One-story brick building with five bays, four of which are wide delivery door openings. Flat roof; multi-light, metal-frame industrial style windows at rear. On the 1913 Sanborn map a smaller, separate structure
was shown at this location.
- By 1924, the south and northwest portions of the building were completed.
- By 1931, an office was added on the east side of the building, filling in the remainder of the lot and creating the current building configuration. This eastern portion served as the office for the building, and is the facade that now faces onto Commerce Street. A recessed entry, at the southeastern comer, likely served as the main entry, with the remaining bays serving as loading bays.
- The land for this building was sold by Sam L. Stringfield to Jennie R. Henry. The Henry family built the warehouse prior to 1924. Deed records note that its was called the J. B. Henry Warehouse. In 1924, the property was sold to R. T. Boyd and J. M. Palmer. The building changed hands several times in the late 1920s to mid-1930s, with different companies leasing the building, including Haywood Supply Company from ca. 1925 to 1927 and a feed and seed store from ca. 1927 to 1935. By the mid-1930s the property ended up back in the Boyd family.
- From ca. 1935 to 1960 the building was in use as Boyd Wholesale, a wholesale grocer. The store sold feed and general merchandise. Salesmen from Boyd Wholesale would travel to neighboring areas to take orders, with delivery trucks carrying products within Waynesville and surrounding areas, including Canton, Bryson City, Sylva, Candler, Lake Junaluska, and Maggie Valley.
- One-story frame building with a front gable roof covered by standing-seam metal.
- Louvered vent in gable end. Three bays wide, with the center door boarded over. Windows are one-over-one and two-over-two.
- Weather board siding, unpainted, lapped at the rear with German siding on the south side. One
interior brick chimney.
- The building was built as the C. G. Logan Motor Company, a Ford dealer, and later was occupied by the Norris Motor Company, an Oldsmobile dealer.
- The garage on the south side no longer stands. In 1924 the building was in use as a general store, with an attached garage at the south side.
- By 1931, the ‘building was in use as part of the J. M. Palmer Milling Company. C. G. Logan, founder of the business, was known as one of the best mechanics in all of Waynesville, beginning his career as a dealer of benzine buggies in Haywood County. His dealership in Frog Level included the sale of Overland and Willis-Knight cars, of all varieties. Logan also sold Ford and other automobile parts. In addition to automobile sales, the Logan Motor Company was equipped to handle all types of repair work.
Boundary Street-south side:
- Two-story brick building with five distinct bays at the front (west) elevation. The second and fourth bays are lower than the center and comer bays, with crenelated parapet walls extending up above the flat roof line. The center bay is a projecting solid block with concrete coping at the cornice and concrete medallions depicting North Carolina and United States seals in either side of the incised “N.C. N. G. Armory”.
- The comer bays are larger solid brick blocks with concrete coping at the cornice. The original brick framing remains around the front door, but a smaller door surrounded by brick infill has replaced the original door. Windows are slightly inset from the facade, set in narrow vertical bands. New window sash has been added in recent years, in a smaller configuration than the original openings. Some basement windows retain their original wood-frame sash. The rear wall of the building is an extended parapet wall.
- A shed roof sun room has been added at the northeast comer, at the rear.
- There is a one-story wing on the south side, now enclosed, which originally served as bays for housing the army jeeps. The building has been in use continuously as a community center and served as a drill center for the National Guard until recent years when a new armory was built. According to a September 19, 1935 article in the Waynesville Mountaineer, Waynesville was one of the North Carolina towns to get an armory through the Works Progress Administration.
- The building was projected to cost $24,000, and would house Company “H” of the 120th Infantry. The 22,000 square foot building would serve as a drill ground and for community use.
- According to the article, the town had to supply the site, with all other funding coming from the WP A
Depot Street-east side:
- Two-story brick Commercial Style building with comer entry that still retains the original pressed tin ceiling.
- Building is divided into two distinct bays separated by a brick pilaster. The two existing front display windows are a later change.
- Transoms above the storefront windows are covered with pressed metal that simulates rusticated block.
- All windows boarded up in the front, multi-light double hung windows at rear.
- Large concrete block, shallow front gable roof addition to rear, one-story, ca. 1940s, with multi-light casement windows and garage bays.
- “Burgin’s Market” is still visible on the southeast side of the building.
- This business remained in this location through the 1950s.
- One-story brick commercial building, eight bays wide, with a stepped parapet roof line, striated brick facade, and concrete block at rear.
- Bays across the front of the building alternate between doors and display areas, apparently originally housing three distinct businesses.
- All transoms are covered with pressed metal to look like rusticated block. Display windows are intact, with plywood inserted below.
- Doors are modem replacements, except for one at the southeast comer which is a single light.
- It is not known what the original business was that occupied this building, but it has remained in continuous use as some type of retail store since it was built.
Vacant lot to the south
- Two-story; brick Romanesque Revival building built ten years after the adjacent T. N. Massie & Son building to the southeast, in an almost identical style.
- Similar detailing of the two buildings makes them appear as one structure, but close examination in the field and information provided by the current owner reveals they were indeed built at different times.
- Sanborn maps also show that this building was constructed by 1913, with the adjacent building appearing by 1908.
- Building has two distinct storefront bays with two bays on the upper facade, each with segmentally arched two-over-two windows typical of the Romanesque Revival style. Original display windows, double-leaf doors, transoms. Corbelling at cornice, flat roof, stepped parapet wall on north side.
- The Medford Furniture Company was established in 1912. The 1913 Sanborn map indicates that there was a furniture store in the southernmost bay, the Medford Furniture Company, and a barber on the north side. The company advertised as having three floors of furniture displays, with an additional store on Main Street.
- An undertaker was also located in the Frog Level store.
- Later uses included Burgin & Owen, undertakers, and the Depot Exchange grocery.
- Two-story brick Romanesque Revival building with two distinct, intact storefront bays built prior to the adjacent building to the northwest.
- There are two distinct storefront bays at the front, each retaining original display windows, double leaf doors, and transoms.
- Only change to storefronts appears to be the replacement of original paneled kickplates with brick. The upper facade has three distinct bays separated by brick pilasters.
- Romanesque Revival segmental.arches over single and double two-over-two windows are located within these bays, with brick corbelling at the cornice.
- A parapet wall at the front of the building hides the gable roof behind, which is only visible from the rear of the building.
- Shed roof addition at rear, built after 1931. Windows boarded up at rear. The southernmost section of the building was a general store (T. N. Massie & Son) as early as 1908.
- By 1913, there was a still a general store in this section and a grocery in the northern bay. By 1916, Medford Furniture Company occupied this building as well as the adjacent one to the northwest.
- Originally there were exterior stairs on the southeast side of the building, with boarders living above the stores.
- Claude A. Haynes General Store later occupied the building, in the early 1920s.
- Waynesville Candy Company has occupied the building from 1925 to the present day.
- George Dewey Stovall, Sr. arrived in Waynesville from Cleveland, Georgia ca. 1921.
- In the 1930s and 1940s this store was the distribution center for all of the Stovall 5 & 10 Cent stores in western North Carolina and northern Georgia.
- One-story Commercial Style painted brick building with intact storefront including original display
windows with glass block transom and recessed double-leaf door with transom.
- Flat roof with corbeled cornice. One-story concrete block addition at rear, after 1931.
- Built as a retail store. Businesses have included Carswell Underwood Auto Parts and Feed Store, and a plumbing company.
- One-story brick building with two distinct display areas flanking a central recessed entry that probably date to the 1940s when the building was converted to a furniture store (the Burgin-Clayton Furniture Store).
- Large display windows fill the lower front facade and continue around to the side of the building.
- Upper bays of the building are divided by brick pilasters, with a raised gable over the front center bay.
- Arched roof between the front and rear parapet walls.
- Some of the original garage bays on the southeast side of the building have been bricked in.
- Built as a car dealership and garage, with a capacity of thirty five cars, this building first appears on the 1924 Sanborn map.
- This same Sanborn map notes concrete floors (they are actually terrazzo), heat stove, and electric lights.
- Office was located at the southeast comer of the building.
- Built by Paul and Clayton Walker.
- Taylor Motor Company was located here at one time.
- Later uses of the building were Burgin-Clayton Furniture Store, run by Otis Burgin and Henry
Clayton. The sign for this is still visible on the building.
Vacant lot to south, Depot Street–west side:
- One-story frame L-shape building with the original store at the front and dwelling (now offices) at the
- This building deteriorated considerably in recent years, but was rehabilitated by the current owners
- Compatible new materials, including board and batten siding, were used, replacing the horizontal
wood siding which was on the building in the 1940s.
- The original extended parapet wall at front remains, with the front gable roof behind, covered with standing seam metal.
- A full-width, shed-roof front porch replaces the one which was built between 1924 and 1931, in the same configuration. This porch does not appear in a ca. 1940s photograph, but a porch clearly appears on the 1931 Sanborn map. Details of the porch include square posts and a simple two-by-two balustrade.
- The front of the building is three bays wide. The center double-leaf door is flanked by large four-light windows which restore what was on the building in the 1940s. Handicap ramp has been added to west, porch at dwelling wing at rear has had posts removed. Interior brick chimney.
- Windows are four-light at front, one-over-one at northwest side, and are replacement sash.
- Store and dwelling to rear was originally part of the Waynesville Grist Mill (later Noland Mill) complex located along Richland Creek The building, with only one rear porch, appears for the first time on the 1924 Sanborn map.
- By 1931, the only change to the building was the addition of porches onto the front of the store and front of the dwelling portions of the building.
- None of the old mill remains. John R. Carswell and R. T. Messer opened a retail grocery business on Depot Street in 1909. They sold all types of groceries, including a famous line of hams and bacons know as the “Morning Glory” line. The store also sold animal feed.
- When this building was completed ca. 1920, the retail grocery and mill store continued, with Carswell’s family, including eight children, living in the attached dwelling at the rear of the store.
- Manson McCracken operated the store for a while, but beginning in 1946 through the mid-1960s Grady Honeycutt operated a traveling grocery store from this building. In the later 1960s an upholstery shop was located in the building.
- The building is now currently operated as Mill Race Mercantile, a general store.
- One-story five-bay painted stone building. Flat roof with raised parapet in center.
- Most former doors and windows are boarded up, but some multi-light metal windows remain on the side elevations of the building. Interior brick chimney.
- A recent fire in the building has damaged some of the roof and interior, but the current owner plans to rebuild.
- Originally a railroad spur line, which has since been removed, ran to the northwest side of the building where coal was delivered.
- R. L. Lee & Company operated a coal delivery business in this building.
- Documentary photos also indicate there was a garage wing on the southeast side of the building, which is also gone.
- One-story considerably altered building with a new brick facade and modem windows.
- Original arched windows of the early twentieth century livery stable remain along the northeast elevation of the building.
- Stepped parapet roof line.
- This building first appears on Sanborn maps in 1908 as a two-story livery stable.
- In 1931, the building was used for a general warehouse and retail store.
- A fire later destroyed the second story of the building.
- The modem brick facade that apparently added ca. 1930 to 1940s, along with some metal frame multi-light windows which were retrofitted into the original arched openings.
- Parton Feed Store was located here in the 1950s.
- Altered one-story building with modem wany-edge, rough-sawn wood siding, modem doors and
windows. Flat roof with parapet wall at front.
- Building extends to the rear, and is the same length as the adjacent former livery stable.
- Built as a retail store.
- Caldwell Plumbing & Heating was located here in the 1950s.
- Altered one-story building with modem facade.
- Lower half of the front of the building is brick veneer with metal frame fixed pane windows above.
- Door at northeast comer may be original multi-panel, with a new transom window. East facade of the building is brick, with a large one-story concrete block addition to the rear.
- Flat roof. Built as a retail store, operated as a tavern beginning in the 1950s.
- Intact concrete bridge crossing Richland Creek at the north end of Depot Street with concrete pilings and original two and one:-half foot high concrete posts on street level with metal pipe railing between posts.
- Heavy steel beams support the structure, along with a solid concrete wall running beneath the center of the bridge. (Sanborn maps, Department of Transportation records).